Monday, January 12, 2009

Thoughts that stir...

Here are some thoughts & quotes from things I have been reading or listening to over the last month. I hope they stir your mind and heart...

"We cannot attain the presence of God. We're already totally in the presence of God. What's absent is awareness?" --Richard Rohr

"To know who we are, we first must know WHO'S we are." --Jeff McSwain

"Novem te, novem me." (May I know YOU, may I know myself.) --St. Augustine's Prayer

"After decades of Bible reading. I realized that my relationship with God was based more on what I believed than on what I experienced." --David Benner

"Kids grasp social justice better than adults...God is the Father to the fatherless...We are Plan B, it is up to us to turn to the poor." --Tom Davis

"I love the poor, the sick, and the weak because I see the face of God in them not because I am called but because I am desperately loved by God." --Me*

"Grace is what makes Christianity different from all other ways to God. It allows us to be embraced." --Me*

"I want to be in a community where you are giving and receiving so much to each other that eventually you forget who is giving and who is receiving." --Me*

*I am sure these were inspired by someone, I just cannot remember who, sorry to whoever deserves the credit for these Truths.

4 comments:

kec said...

Was Benner's comment made in a positive way or a negative one? As I read Paul, I come to the conclusion that our faith is based on an event. On history. On who Christ IS and what he DID, regardless of whether I FEEL that it's true. I could make Benner's comment in a very positive way.

Luther has been paraphrased a lot to say that "God doesn't our your good works, your neighbor does." I really like that.

Julie A. Watson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie A. Watson said...

Ken...If you ever get a chance check out pages 38-40 of "The Gift of Being Yourself"

Benner is talking about experiencing the person of Christ by meditating & entering into the life of Christ.

kec said...

Thanks for the link! Going to have to ponder that one for a while.